Best detail sanders
Working on wood requires a lot of tools. If you have such a hobby, then you know what I am talking about. There is one tool for every action you take, but that is one of the beauties of working on wood. You never get bored using a single tool all day every day. However, one tool that must not lack, and that is a detail sander. After all, how can you possibly finish your project without giving it that smooth finish?
A detail sander is just like a regular sander, as in does what the regular sander does, except that it is designed for a finer sanding. It is the last tool you use on wood, after all. It is also used to get in those small corners and tight spaces, such as furniture joints. You cannot reach those with another kind. At the same time, some people use detail sanding for regular sanding. If you have just a hobby, time is not of the essence so you can afford to enjoy standing with a detail sander. Plus, you do not spend money on several types.
What makes a detail sander so special?
It is not that it is special. They just have an ideal design for some specific jobs. Detail sanders have a small triangle shaped pad. They are small overall, and if you purchase a mouse-type sander, you can even hold it in the palm of your hand. The pads can be changed, of course, and you need to buy quite a few, especially if you plan on doing regular sanding with it. The point is that a detail sander will make possible for you to work with finesse. It makes it easy for you to sand curves and profile shapes.
Are there special techniques while working with a detail sander?
What you need to remember is that working with a detail sander is very easy. At the same time, you must also remember that it is a power tool. There are a few things you should always keep in mind. For instance, you should never touch the pad while the sander is working. I know that it is obvious, but still. Injuries occur every day.
As for techniques, there is nothing out of the ordinary. The first thing you need to know is that applying too much pressure on the pad results in sanding too deep. That action may even ruin your project if you cannot correct the damage. It also has an effect over the pad, which will become useless a lot faster than it should. Sanding near a source of fire is yet another thing to avoid. It is a fire hazard. Other than that, you should always wear safety equipment such as goggles. You do not want a splinter in your eyes, trust me on that.
Before using the detail sander you end up buying, do not forget to read the instructions as well as the safety guidelines. Some of that information can save you from a lot of trouble. A trip to the ER as a result of sanding is never welcomed.
How to choose the best detail sander
Selecting a model should be relatively easy. However, do not go and buy a random product. That is how you end up with something that does not satisfy your needs. You need to read the specifications of each product you see. Also, you must look for a product according to some guidelines. If you have never done that before, here is what you need to consider before you actually make a purchase.
- Corded vs. cordless – on the market, you will find both options. It is up to you which kind you want. Just remember that there are pros and cons on both sides. Corded detail sanders have unlimited power. They have a more powerful motor, so you may finish the job a little faster. However, you are somewhat limited as far as movement is concerned. You will always depend on a power outlet. Cordless detail sanders, on the other hand, will allow you to move anywhere you want. But they do not have motors as powerful. Plus, when the battery is dead, you need to take a break and allow it to recharge. You get to decide which one is better for you.
- Sanding pads availability – imagine this: you buy an excellent product that works very well, but when the sanding pads that came with the sander are done, you do not find extra pads to buy. Not easily, anyway. That is a terrible scenario. The last thing you need is to search like crazy for extra sanding pads. That is why you should check the availability of the sanding pads before you buy the product.
- Ergonomics – if you work with your detail sander just now and then, ergonomics may not matter that much. Though we all like to be comfortable while doing anything. However, if you work regularly with a detail sander, ergonomics is crucial. Have you ever heard of vibration syndrome? Google it! It is common in people who work in furniture factories and handle sanders all day long. The best thing you could do is find a comfortable to use detail sander anyway. A secure and comfortable grip will keep you away from pain.
- Dust collection – not all detail sanders have this feature. In fact, the cheapest models will definitely not have it. However, if you like to work in absolute cleanliness, a detail sander with dust collection is the way to go. You can work anywhere in the house. It will not leave a trail.
- Speed – not all detail sanders can operate at the same speed. Some are faster, while some are slower. It depends on the motor. Keep in mind that battery-powered detail sanders will always be slower than corded detail sanders. The reason is obvious. My advice is to go for a detail sander with variable speed. That way you can adjust it according to what you are working on. For example, some people use these sanders when they work on plastic. While a high speed is excellent for wood, it will melt the plastic, so you need your sander to work at a lower rate.
What are the best detail sanders?
There are a lot of detail sanders out there, and I am sure you are going to find the right one for you. Since you have all the information you need, you should be able to find the best detail sander for you. What you could also do is read some detail sanders reviews online to check out what other people bought and appreciated as high-quality. If not, you can just pick one of the models below.
Tacklife Mouse Detail Sander
The detail sander from Tacklife is a corded sander that I think you will enjoy very much. It has a motor of 130W, which is more than enough for a mouse detail sander. It is very small, but that makes it easy to use. Your hands will not get tired, and you can sand for hours without any issues. It has a soft grip that provides maximum comfort. That will increase your own efficiency. As for speed, this small detail sander can deliver up to 12,000 RPM (or 12,000 orbits.) It delivers 1.1 amps of power.
The package you get includes 12 sanding pads that will help you get in those tight spaces. The pads are not all the same, but they are meant for several jobs such as removing paint from several materials, as well as finishing a project. You will find it very handy. If you want, you can use it for regular sanding as well. Just expect to change the sandpaper pretty often.
One of the things you will like the most about this detail sander is that it has a dust collection box. You can maintain your work area clean. The buckle connection will keep the box from falling off while you are working. The dust box is easy to disassemble and empty. You will find it most useful when you are working indoors. The sand pads can also be changed quickly. They are attached using Velcro. And do not worry about not finding extra sandpaper. They can be found easily online, and you can buy 50 pieces at once. They should last for a while.
Hi-Spec Tools Palm Detail Orbital Sander
Do you know why this type of sanders is called ‘palm?’ Because they can literally fit into the palm of your hand. They are compact and easy to use. If you need finesse, this is what you are looking for. However, just because it is small, it does not mean that it is not potent. Quite the contrary, actually. This corded detail orbital sander has a powerful 200W motor. It is capable of 15,000 orbits per minute, and it delivers 1.6 amps. As you can see, this model is more powerful than the former.
The design is sleek, and you can use it on virtually anything, flat or curved. The pointy tip gives you access in the most inaccessible spots. As for ergonomics, this product is one of the best. Keeping it with the palm of your hand will make sanding very comfortable. The handle is rubberized for your convenience. The pads are easy to find online, as well as in stores, and they attach with Velcro. Replacing them should be a piece of cake.
Just as the previous product, the Hi-Spec detail sander also has a dust collector so that you can maintain a clean working space. Your clothes will remain clean as well. When it is full, just detach it, empty it, and put it back. It should take you about a minute.
Black + Decker BDCMS20C 20V Battery-Powered Detail Sander
Last but not least, the Black + Decker detail sander is yet another product that you may like. In fact, you may want it even more than the other two. That is because instead of plugging it in, you can enjoy a cordless sanding session. The device runs on a 20V Lithium Ion rechargeable battery. You will have the freedom to move wherever you want. That makes it a bit heavier than the other two corded models, but I think it is worth it.
The Black + Decker detail sander has a compact and ergonomic design that provides both accessibility in tight spaces and comfort while using it. The 2-position grip allows more control and ease no matter what you are using the sander for. What is even more interesting is that the tip of the triangle is detachable. That way you can take it off, and reach the smallest places you can find.
This product comes with a dust collector as well for a clean working space. The maximum speed it gets at is 12,000 orbits per minute, and the battery lasts about one and a half hours. That may seem like an inconvenience, but it does not have to be. You could do what everyone does. Buy a battery pack and when one is dead, leave it to charge while you take another one that is full. Other than that, this is an excellent product.
I find that all sanders are well built and provide high-quality, but if I were to choose, I would go with the Black + Decker BDCMS20C 20V Battery-Powered Detail Sander. I love battery-powered tools, and there is always a solution to not depend on recharging the battery (multiple batteries.) This one is fast, comfortable, and highly efficient. I think it is one of the best detail sanders you can find.
Someone once said that you are only as good as your tools. That is why some people take really good of their toolbox. Working with wood is a real pleasure, but only if you have the right tools to help you. One of the detail sanders above is what you would expect. They are efficient, high-quality, and not very expensive. I am sure that no matter which one you choose, you will be happy with it. Click here to buy on Amazon
- The Number One Question You Must Ask for Black and Decker Mouse Sandpaper
- The Pitfall of Small Electric Sander
- Top Sanding Tools Guide!
- Vital Pieces of Disk Sander
- The Hidden Truth About Wall Sander Uncovered
- The Number One Article on Best Belt Sander
- What You Need to Know About Best Orbital Sander
- Choosing Good Handheld Sander
- Whispered Black & Decker Mouse Sander Secrets
- Black and Decker Sander – an in Depth Anaylsis on What Works and What Doesn’t
- What Does Cordless Sander Mean?
- What to Do About Best Palm Sander
- How to Choose Bosch Detail Sander
- Unusual Article Uncovers the Deceptive Practices of Electric Hand Sander
- Buying Corner Sander
- Know What an Old Pro is Saying About Bench Sander
- Ruthless Small Sander Strategies Exploited
- Thoughts on Hand Held Sander in Simple Step by Step Order
- Ideas, Formulas and Shortcuts for Disc Sander
- A Secret Weapon for Black and Decker Mouse
- Why No One Is Talking About Spindle Sander
- The Good, the Bad and Sanding Machine
- The Single Best Plan to Use for Random Orbital Sander Revealed
- The Hidden Gem of Wood Sanders
- Using Floor Sander
- What Needs to be Done About Power Sander
- The Argument About Black and Decker Mouse Sander
- The Advantages of Mouse Sander
- The Lost Secret of Detail Sander
- New Questions About Orbital Sander Answered and Why You Must Read Every Word of This Report
- Sanders Features
- Up in Arms About Hand Sander?
- Choosing Good Palm Sander
- The Run Down on Belt Sander Exposed
- Electric Sander Guide